Friday, July 6, 2012 - Posted by Shirkelm

I have been employed at the same place for a whole decade, a fact that still baffles me and quite frankly makes me feel way older than my 26 years of age.  Within the last 10 years I have had the opportunity to do a little bit of everything.  Let’s just call me “the jack of all trades.”  Not only have I gained more hands on experience and expanded my knowledge of expertise but the diversity and variety of jobs I have been assigned to do has also given me the opportunity to be exposed to a vast array of different people.  It is no surprise that under these conditions I have been able to build relationships with some of my co-workers which go deeper than just your everyday acquaintances.



“Our most meaningful and intimate workplace relationships are those with our professional peers…our peer relationships are not simply professional; they’re often intensely personal.” (McCornack, 2010.  p 413. ) This is something that holds very true for me.  Over the past 10 years I have seen a lot of my fellow co-workers come and go, bonds have been made and broken, and then there are some that no matter how hard you try you just cannot seem to get along with.  It’s the corporate melting pot; however, there has been one friendship that has stood the test of time.  Cindy Knott is the Credit Manager for Sysco and recently became my new boss.  I guess you can say the power-status spectrum may be off kilter but it has not affected our relationship one bit.  We have what Mcornamck defines as being a professional peer relationship where over the years we have transitioned from being just informational peers (ones that just share work related content) to collegial peers (ones that share work related and personal issues) to what the text describes as being special peers. This is a unique relationship in that special peers share pretty much everything with each other that range from work, family and even emotional support (McCornack, 2010. p414.)  The text states that “evolution of a coworker friendship to a higher state of intimacy is usually spurred by negative events…or serious work-related problems that require an exceptional level of social support.” (McCornack, 2010. p414) Putting a little humor into this I am reminded of a Maxine cartoon I seen one time that says something like “of course were friends…you already know too much.”  How true this is seeing as we both self disclose facts to one another that even our own mothers don’t know  Openness is definitely a key characteristic in our friendship and like Mcnomrak says it is a key factor in helping provide one another with security and emotional support.  The reason our friendship works so well and has progressed through the stages of peer relationships is heavily reliant on how open we are.  Over the years it has created that security and confidence that I can tell her anything at all and I know the information I share with her will not be thrown into the rumor mill.  We both shower each other with assurances or bad day “pick me up’s” and encouragement when needed and most importantly we treat each other with respect and not just has co-workers: 2 traits that Mcornomakc states are essential to helping maintain work place relationships (McCornack, 2010. p414-415.  I can’t recall a single moment when she has not offered up the chance for me to vent my frustrations. I always try to reciprocate when possible.  To be completely honest our friendship dynamic works because we are so much a like.  She is a mirror image of me 20 years from now and I wouldn’t change a thing about our friendship.



After 10 years I may be considered the “jack of all trades,” but I have gained more than just a hands on work experience; I have gained a true life long friendship that is worth so much more.  Have you had any of your friendships begin in the workplace and if so were they just co-workers or did they hold a different title than you? Explain how it changed your outlook or perspective about the workplace environment?

Here she is a little camera shy but hard a work :)

Reference:

    • McCornack, S. (2010). Reflect & Relate. An Introduction to Interpersonal Communication,  404-419.