Friday, June 15, 2012 - Posted by Shirkelm



Lights…Camera…Action! Instantly I’m deer trapped in the spotlight.  My mind becomes a whirlwind of mass confusion.  What’s my line again? S*i*t what do I do now?  Embarrassment floods over me as all eyes are on me.  I just stand there for what feels like a life time frozen solid unable to move.  I’m pretty sure I hear the crowd laughing, pointing, and talking amongst them at how ridiculous I look.  Knowing my luck there is someone off in the corner recording every second of this failed attempt to launch my acting career.  Surely it will be posted on Facebook or YouTube I am certain.  I hang my head in defeat and the curtain closes.  Ok…so maybe I have exaggerated just a tad, but regardless, I think it’s safe to say that any hopes of winning the audience over with my bubbly personality and charming good looks would have gone down in flames and not in a good way.

Our self concept is an overall perception of who we are and is heavily reliant on how others perceive us.   In the textbook Reflect & Relate it states that…”one of the biggest influence on your self-concept is the labels others put on you. Sociologist Charles Horton Cooley described the impact that labeling has on our self-concepts as the looking-glass self.” (McCornack, 2010, p. 41).  First impressions mean EVERYTHING and you only get one shot at making a good first impression, at least this is what we are taught from an early age.  For an example take a look at the picture posted above.  When you look at it what’s your first impression? 

 Over the years we have come up with phrases created to cope with our feelings of inferiority and to ease our stress of fitting in. We use them to build up our self worth and esteem…some of these phrases include: “You can’t always judge a book by its cover, “ or “Variety is the spice of life.” We have even gone so far as to unconsciously form two types of self: One with which we keep secret otherwise known as our “private self.”  As the name indicates, these are the facets that we keep hidden or secret.   Then there is our “private self” which is how we want others to view us, otherwise known as our “ideal self.”   I guess you could say that life is merely stage, and simply pu,t we are the actors putting on a show.  Just as actors wear costumes to help transform them into the characters they play, we metaphorically wear a mask that helps us to conceal our “private self;” and displays the character that we want others to know us by.   We follow a daily script of social acceptance through genderalization, socialization and our culture trying very hard not to stray too far from these predestined norms. 

I am reminded of that awkward teenage girl I once was trying so hard to be a part of the “in” crowd and failing miserably.  I think I still carry the scars of the rejection felt back in my high school days that still tend to play a major role in who I am and the public self I try to portray today.  I can already tell SCOM 320 will be a huge challenge for me.  I tend to be the quiet girl in the corner who would rather not be seen or heard but rather just sit back and observe.  I’m not a blogger, a tweeter and setting up a Facebook account was a huge step for me for fear that I would lose some control over the public self I portray to others around me.  I tend to rather enjoy hiding behind the mask and putting on a show for those around me.  Oh and by the way,  would you be surprised if I told you that the man in the picture is not what you would label the life of the party, however, he is a rather shy, introverted guy who I also call my Father.

So if our lives are a stage and we are just merely actors…then at what point do we cut the act and start getting real? 

                                                                                          Reference:

    • McCornack, S. (2010). Reflect & Relate. An Introduction to Interpersonal Communication,  40-63.