The One You Got Back

Friday, June 22, 2012 - Posted by LoCascio

Have you ever had that one crush you let get away and wondered where they were in life now? I was fortunate enough to have my middle school crush ask me out to dinner just this past year. We had not seen each other since he moved away after 8th grade. We rekindled our childhood crushes after just one dinner and we have now been together for over a year.   What really won me over was while I was busy studying for an exam, very tired and hungry, Tyler ordered a pizza and had it delivered to my apartment.  He called me ten minutes before the deliveryman came with the pizza to tell me there should be a knock on my door.  He was ensuring that I felt over-benefitted in our relationship. Over-benefitted is when one partner receives a lot from one partner without returning the favor and can leave the over-benefitted partner feeling guilty. This seemingly small act was extremely meaningful to me and we’ve been together ever since.

The only down side to our relationship, is that it’s long-distance. The long-distance relationship adds another layer of complexity and, at times, anxiety to a romantic partnership.  Equity is a concept that I never really internalized before reading this chapter. Equity is the balance of benefits and costs exchanged by you and the other person. Equity can be equated to the equality or balance, which measures the proportional justice in a relationship. For there to be a functional and healthy relationship there needs to be a shared sense of contribution in the relationship. In a relationship, individuals need to weigh/consider benefits gained vice contributions made. Benefits and contributions, if not balanced, will create an inequity. When inequities occur one person is going to feel that they are giving more than they are receiving creating a feeling of underappreciated and that they are over contributing.
         I find that in my relationship both Tyler and I are committed to working on making sure that our contributions and efforts in the relationship remain equal. For example, we both contribute to choosing locations or activities for dates, movies, and other activities. It is even more important that we try our best to equally split the driving we do in order to visit each other. We compromise on different weekends and try our best to keep the distance we drive equal. I noticed in some of my friends’ relationships one person usually takes the dominant role and eventually the relationship fizzles out due to the inequity in making the relationship work. It’s hard to image putting a cost or benefit analysis on your relationship, however, it makes a lot of sense. As McCornack (2010) explains, equity strongly determines the short and long term success of a relationship. I would argue that contributes to relationships are not only limited to romantic relationships but to all human relationships. There has to be give and take in every relationship to keep a healthy bond. For friendships, peers, classmates, business relationships- all of these relationships need to find a balance.

                                


Have you ever found yourself in a relationship that was inequitable and if so what did you do? Did you terminate the relationship or did work on making it equitable?



References:
     McCornack, S. (2010). Reflect and relate: An introduction to interpersonal communication (2nd ed.). Boston. New York: Bedford/St. Martin’s