Improving Your Intercultural Competence

Saturday, June 4, 2011 - Posted by Emma Crutchfield

My mom and some friends at my best friend’s older sister’s wedding. Their place cards were Japanese fans because the couple was moving to Japan for work and wanted to incorporate the new culture into their wedding.

Have you ever heard someone staring into the ape exhibit at the zoo say “aw, how cute, he’s smiling at me” and thought to yourself “wow, that’s not it at all”? Many people know that when an ape bears its teeth, it is most certainly not happy to see you- unless, of course, it’s highly trained. Much like the perceived difference in bearing teeth between apes and humans, many cultures communicate and interact differently from others.
This difference in communication between cultures must be observed to improve intercultural competence. Intercultural competence is defined as the “ability to communicate appropriately, effectively, and ethically with people from diverse backgrounds” (McCornack, 2010 p.267). To improve intercultural competence one must demonstrate world-mindedness by respecting others’ cultural beliefs and values. You must also observe and accept how others communicate and be open-minded to reasons why one may be behaving a certain way during communication.
As I mentioned in my previous posting, I recently moved in with a foreign exchange student from China named Yao Yao. I’m very interested in learning about her culture and where she’s from, so it comes naturally to me to be mindful of our cultural differences. Though that is my natural reaction, I was quickly reminded of how ethnocentric people can be when a member of a study group met her. Yao Yao had stopped in the living room to greet my group and make quick conversation, but, as she left, a member of my group whispered to me “she never looks you in the eye, how rude!” I attempted to remind my group member that in certain parts of Asia, eye contact is seen as a sign of disrespect, but she kept insisting that it was offensive. It took an hour out of our study session for the entire group to convince this one group member to put herself in Yao Yao’s shoes and see our constant eye contact as rude, because that was how she was raised.
Though intercultural incompetence may be unintentional, it is important to work on. My group members did not mean to make Yao Yao uncomfortable, but the majority of them were quick to understand why she wasn’t returning their gaze. Though one might not be entirely aware of how to act in a different culture, it is best to understand and absorb the differences to improve relationships.

Discussion
1. What are some differences in cultural behaviors you have noticed during your travels?

2. Do you think it would be best to briefly study up on a culture before you travel to a different country? Or just learn as you go?