What's Your Talking Distance?

Friday, June 3, 2011 - Posted by T.Brannigan

Every day we use verbal and nonverbal communication to send messages to receivers. Nonverbal communication helps clarify our verbal message with things such as hand gestures, body movements, touch, and personal space. Holding a conversion with a person from a different culture, I have found that personal space tends to vary. When I say personal space I am talking about proxemics, which is communicating with others with the use of physical distance (McCornack, 2009).

It was a Friday night and I was introduced to a new friend who happened to be from Spain. I took the lead and told her my name followed by a handshake. Afterwards, she went in for a friendly hug and a kiss on the cheek. The hug was not a surprise, but the kiss on the cheek caught me off guard. In a greeting it is something I was definitely not accustomed to seeing. We then proceeded with small talk, but she happened to be too close, which forced me to take slight steps backwards. She was clearly invading my personal space.

When communicating with others, there are four talking distances. The first is intimate space, which is from the range of 0 to 18 inches and usually occurs with close relationships. Remember, I just met her and she was in the intimate range which just made me feel uncomfortable. The second is personal space, which ranges from 18 inches to 4 feet and usually happens when you’re talking with friends. The third is social space, which is from the range of 4 to 12 feet and commonly happens in your work environment or when you meet strangers. Finally, we have public space, which is more than 12 feet and usually takes place during a formal lecture or public speech (McCornack, 2009).

We carried on our conversation and I found a way to adjust to the use of space. When we first started to talk, I didn’t think I was going to make a new friend because of the invasion of my personal bubble. But after I adjusted and focused on our conversation, I found myself sharing a lot of the same interest as her. In the end I’ve made a great friend and we’ve found ourselves hanging out.

So remember, the next time you meet a stranger from a different culture and their use of personal space is different, find a way to adjust, because chances are you’re missing out on making a new friend.

Which range do you feel most comfortable with when meeting strangers?
Why do you think North Americans’ personal space tends to be larger than other cultures?
Can you think of another conversational range we use in North America?


References:
  • McCornack, S. (2009). Reflect & relate: An introduction to interpersonal communication.

Bedford/ St. Martin’s