The Dark Side of Communication

Saturday, May 21, 2011 - Posted by conorw90

These past few weeks have been the absolute worst of my life. I’ve never felt this confused, frustrated, and alone. A short while ago, I was extremely happy and content with my life, but now it’s hard to find optimism with each passing day. My girlfriend and I recently broke up after two and a half years of dating. I met her at JMU in my first semester and ever since then I’ve loved her deeply. One of the strengths of our relationship was our communication because we could talk about anything together and whenever something was bothering one of us, we would bring it up and discuss it. Our relationship ended just a few weeks before the school year did and it was made more difficult by the fact that we were living together. The good news is that we agreed that we would try and continue to be friends and we are currently doing that. But my trust for her was lost, and I’m having a difficult time relating to her in the way I once did after everything that’s happened and everything that’s been said when we argued.
The section of the textbook that talks about the dark side of interpersonal relationships struck me because of the relevance to my current situation. Before, my ex-girlfriend and I would talk constantly and always be there for each other when we needed someone, but now it feels as if there is a gaping hole in my life that I can’t seem to fill. “Friends and lovers can be mean, petty, vindictive, and cruel to one another,” (Duck, Wood, 1995, P. 27) This statement has echoed the way we are now sometimes even though we were best friends before.
The dark side of our interpersonal relationship is causing both of us stress and pain and it’s getting to be too much to handle. We have had our issues like any couple but I never thought that the issues would get so bad that we would end it. Losing my relationship with her isn’t like losing any other girlfriend because she was truly my best friend since I met her and I have never felt as close to anyone. It almost feels like part of me is being taken away and there is nothing I can do about it which is causing me to lash out in frustration.
The truth is that neither of us wants to let one another out of our lives. Given the circumstances, she wants me to still be her friend but it is becoming more and more difficult for me to take. It’s extremely hard remembering what you had before and now that you’ve lost it after all this time. The lack of communication, and then the subsequent negative communication is the thing that is hurting me the most. Some of the negative things we both said could have been avoided but emotions run high in a situation like that and it can be difficult to restrain yourself. I don’t know if our friendship could’ve been helped if we avoided the dark side of our interpersonal relationship but I urge anyone who is ever in this situation to be careful of the things you say because even a minor phrase could change the dynamics of your relationship.
Ultimately thought this could be good for our friendship. As the book explains, communicating in difficult situations is more beneficial practice than just communicating when it’s easy. It was so easy for us to communicate before, but now that it is more challenging, it may actually help us both to grow in our own ways. This is the first time in my life I’ve ever had to deal with a situation this difficult. I’ve never had a bad falling out with a friend or family member and I think after going through this situation I’ve learned a lot about how to be more effective and wise with my words.
Does negative interpersonal communication such as this help develop you into a more effective communicator in the long run?

References
  • McCornack, S. (2009). Reflect and relate: An introduction to interpersonal communication. Boston, MA: Bedford/St. Martin’s.